Monday, January 27, 2014

Whiteout!

My drive into Ottawa yesterday was fraught with dangerous winter conditions... right from the start.

Here, on the Steele Line, I confronted my first of many whiteouts. Treacherous howling winds had their way with snow, whirling it about, obscuring the road.

Once on the highway, gusts hurled snow into the roadway, creating drifts. Lots of vehicles dotted about the road; people on cell phones, other Good Samaritans beside them, helping out.

Minus 37C temperatures made filling the vehicle with gas challenging... and, after paying inside the gas bar, I could only just see my car as another whiteout had descended. I felt as though I was in the midst of a snow maelstrom... I guess I was.

I waited out the whiteout... and slowly proceeded.

As a hardy Canadian, this is winter...

No comments:

Post a Comment