Sunday, January 26, 2014

Feeding wild birds -- wise or not?

Always controversial, Ottawa’s National Capital Commission (NCC) -- the Crown corporation mandated with managing Gatineau Park -- decided to remove wild bird feeding stations throughout the park.
American goldfinches eating nyger seed
from my feeder at Spiritwood.
Photo by Eric Fletcher.

Many skiers, snowshoers and winter hikers are upset about this decision.

The NCC claims their decision was made because they think feeding wild birds is confusing to the general public. Why? On the one hand, Gatineau Park messaging tells us not to feed wild animals (such as black bears) to prevent creating dependencies and harm to human beings (such as campers, hikers, etc).

Many see it merely as a cost-cutting measure created by communications bureaucrats who don’t realize the public can discern a difference between chickadees and bruins.

Also, others think feeding wild birds creates unnatural dependencies -- on non-native foods as well as food sources (the feeding stations).

I feed wild birds here at Spiritwood. I use tube feeders (containing nyger seed, for finches), platform feeders (black sunflower seeds for blue jays, chickadees), sprinkle some some seeds on the snow's surface (for mourning doves), and make/purchase suet blocks which I hang in "cages" from trees.

The logical extension of the debate over feeding wild birds would be that gardeners “ought” never to plant non-native species in our gardens. Nor, if we do plant non-natives, “should” we ever leave non-native plants’ seed heads on their stalks throughout winter.

I admit it: I do both. I feed birds in winter and I do plant non-natives in my garden. My farm, Spiritwood, is in rural Quebec, where many native species exist --  as well as naturalized introduced species.

What are your thoughts?


No comments:

Post a Comment