Sunday, March 8, 2009

What is an ATC?

Artist Trading Cards are miniature 2.5 x 3.5 inch original works of art which ATC creators swap at trading sessions, by mail, by exhibiting our work at art galleries and trading with fellow exhibitors — or however we can!

ATCs were started in 1997 by a Swiss artist who, while visiting Calgary, was intrigued when he saw Canadian children trading baseball cards. He mused, “Why don't artists create and trade their works, for free?” The international movement was born where creators make, meet and trade ATCs.

I started making ATCs in 2003 after some of my artist pals started an ATC group in Shawville, Quebec. I was hooked. Ever-searching for new opportunities to meet and trade with ATCers, in 2008 I discovered a Calgary, Alberta exhibit of ATCs at The New Gallery... and arranged for Shawville members to exhibit there.

As a travel writer, I try to arrange my trips so I can visit other cities where ATCers are meeting, making and trading cards. In 2008 I visited a Victoria, BC group of traders who have introduced me to many different techniques and mediums.

Want to know more? Editor Ronna Mogelon designs/publishes the ATC Quarterly, a magazine all about ATCs published four times/year. I subscribe because there are inspiring stories, a quarterly challenge (where we can make cards on a theme and submit them for publication), and step-by-step techniques.

Want to trade? Use my profile to contact me!

No comments:

Post a Comment