Friday, June 20, 2014

Spirit Horses: Whirlwind

Galloping, whirling horses

Spirit Horses: Whirlwind
before firing.
The inspiration behind Spirit Horses: Whirlwind reflects how these beautiful creatures of flight abandon themselves to a joyous gallop, running for pure joie de vivre, just as my two horses Crescent and Trooper do here at Spiritwood. These four swirl about against a blue heaven, where my nautilus symbol “suns” represent the continuum of life into eternity.

On the right, find my tile before it was fired: here you get a muted example of what the final work of art will be.

As anyone who knows my art understands, I am inspired by strong colours. In Whirlwind, the strength of the horses is further enhanced by bold hues.



Spirit Horses: Whirlwind my 6 x 6 inch ceramic tile trivet
is completed, after firing.
Here my four painted “Indian ponies” whirl their way about on the 6 x 6 tile. After firing it at The Mud Oven’s kiln in Ottawa, I dropped them into a “simply ornate” frame.

The frame transforms my art into a trivet – functional art you can hang on your wall, or use at your table.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment