Sunday, March 23, 2014

Deciphering stories in the snow

Who goes there?


The fresh snowfall of yesterday offers a perfect opportunity to head outside on snowshoes and try to decipher the stories in the snow. 

Who’s been by? What’s gone on?

The first image shows tracks of a red squirrel which had scampered up and down a tree, then across the snow, only to disappear in to its sub-nivean (below-snow) tunnel.

The second image (with my wedding ring to indicate scale) shows what I think is likely a coyote track. It could be a wolf, because our home is adjacent to Gatineau Park’s “wilderness” sector.



What do you think? Wolf or coyote?


I hedge my bets with the latter, because Eric and I have seen six coyotes on and around our farm this winter. One, I believe, was shot (scroll down to see an earlier post on February 23 this year).

No comments:

Post a Comment