Tuesday, March 25, 2014

A deer kind of morning

White-tailed deer at Church Falls, Gatineau Park

The deer are eager to come to the increasingly exposed edges of roads to feast on last year’s leaves and grasses.

This photo, taken with my iPhone, hand-held while I was inside my car, was a quick snap. I thought these four (yes, four... can you spy one in the background?) would dash away into the forest, so shot four quick images.

These deer look healthy. Some which I have spotted, however, are extremely thin and I think that the thinnest look as though they are yearlings. If they can make it through a frigid, extended winter like this one, I think their chances for survival may be excellent...

... if they can outmanoeuvre the predators, that is...

One deer wasn’t so lucky. A hind leg of a deer, partially chewed, was lying on the Steele Line when I drove into Wakefield yesterday. Upon my return, it was gone... Good fortune for whatever critter was hungry that day!


No comments:

Post a Comment